U.S. Citizen Services
The Consulate General in Hyderabad provides services to the U.S. citizens in the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh and Orissa. The U.S. Embassy and three other Consulates serve the following districts:
The U.S. Embassy, New Delhi serves American citizens in the Indian states of Delhi, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and the country of Bhutan.
The Consulate General in Chennai provides consular services for the states of Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Tamil Nadu, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The Consulate General in Kolkata provides consular services for the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and West Bengal.
The Consulate General in Mumbai provides consular services for the states of Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Diu and Daman, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
Bangalore (Virtual Consulate, check for service hours)
- Emergency Contact for the U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad
- Medical Assistance (includes doctor/hospital list)
- Arrest of an American Citizen (includes attorney list)
- Death of an American Citizen
- Welfare of an American Citizen
- Victims of Crime
- Lost or Stolen Passport
- Financial Emergencies
Travel and Security Information
- Messages for U.S. Citizens
- Travel Alerts
- Sign Up for Security and Travel Updates
- Country Specific Information: India
Passports and Document Services
You must make an appointment online here for all passport and notary services.
Other Consular Services
Can't find what you are looking for? Try the A-Z index.
U.S. Visa Inquiries
American Citizen Services units are unable to assist with information regarding visas to the United States. For visa information, please visit the nonimmigrant visa section or send an inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries regarding immigrant visa inquiries may be sent to email@example.com. Please visit www.ustraveldocs.com/in for questions about visa appointments.
What We Can't Do
We would always like to help, but there are many frequently requested services that we are unable to perform, including:
- Provide information regarding U.S. visas or immigration benefits
- Assist with travel, employment or real estate
- Locate lost property
- Pay personal debts for U.S. citizens
- Authorize or pay for medical treatment
- Prepare tax returns or translations
- Issue or authenticate U.S. birth/marriage/death certificates
- Issue U.S. police records
- Provide security or law enforcement services (including fingerprinting)
- Renew or replace driver's licenses
- Collect or forward mail/packages
- Cash checks
- Provide legal advice or intervene in judicial cases
- Locate or provide information on U.S. citizens
- Assist with Indian or U.S. residency or immigration issues, including Green Cards or acquisition of U.S. citizenship
- Provide information on schools or businesses in the U.S. or India
Security & Travel
American citizens in India can sign up for security and travel updates. It's a free service that keeps you informed during emergencies.