Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad
American Citizens Services Unit
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad-500 003, India
Telephone: 91 40 4033 8441; Facsimile: 91 40 4033 8304
E-mail: Website:

Date: August 3, 2010

Dear American citizens:

We bring this message to your attention so you can carefully consider the information it contains.  Please pass along the information below to the American citizens in your area or put this information on your notice boards for dissemination.  Thank you for your cooperation.                       


Registering to Vote and Requesting Absentee Ballots
U.S. citizens living outside the United States must be registered to vote, and must request an absentee ballot in order to participate in this year’s elections. If you have not registered to vote or requested your absentee ballot, you should do so now!
You can register and request a ballot at the same time by completing a combined voter registration application and absentee ballot request form known as the Federal Post Card Application, or FPCA. This form, along with key state-by-state instructions, is available on the Federal Voting Assistance Program website at or at the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India.

New Procedures for 2010 Election
The recently enacted MOVE Act gives U.S. citizens overseas the ability to request and receive absentee ballots electronically. All voters who want to take advantage of this new option should send in a new FPCA with your email and/or complete fax number clearly written out. U.S. citizens who have changed their names, addresses, or email addresses, or who are infrequent voters, should also submit a new FPCA.
Seventeen year-olds who will be 18 on Election Day (November 2, 2010) can also register now.  Some states allow U.S. citizens who have never resided in the United States to vote in their parents’ state of voting residence. Check the website for your state’s procedures.
Be sure to follow your state’s instructions carefully when completing the form and sending it to local election officials in the United States. The FVAP website and the Overseas Vote Foundation website,, have wizards that help you complete and address your FPCA. 
The new law requires states to send out ballots a minimum of 45 days in advance of Election Day. If you fail to receive your absentee ballot within a reasonable time period, notify your local election officials by phone or email, and ask for a new ballot electronically. 
Every voter should be aware that you can use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as a back-up emergency ballot. Like the FPCA, the FWAB and instructions for its use are available on the website or from the U.S. Embassy.
Vote your ballot and return it promptly to ensure it reaches your local election officials before your state’s ballot receipt deadline. If you use the FWAB, and later receive your official ballot, vote and return it immediately. Under the new law, states must put in place a mechanism that allows voters to confirm that the voted ballot has been received by the state. Again, check for a link to your state’s election information. You may drop off election materials at the Embassy or Consulates in India, but transit times may delay arrival in your state’s elections office.

The Voting Assistance Officer at the U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad is also always available to answer questions about absentee voting. To contact the Voting Assistance Officer, call 4033-8300 or send an e- mail to

U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel registration website so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency. For additional information, please refer to "A Safe Trip Abroad."

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Internet website where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Americans are also encouraged to read the Country Specific Information for India, available on the Consulate’s website, Embassy's website and also at the Department's website.
U.S. citizens with questions or concerns may contact the American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy or the Consulates General for further information:

-- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8407.
-- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at Lincoln House, 78 Bhulabhai Desai Road, 400026, telephone +91-22-2363-3611; fax +91-22-2363-0350.
-- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006, telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027.
-- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335.
-- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300.