LOST OR STOLEN PASSPORT
Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport
U.S. citizens whose passports have been lost or stolen should:
1. File a police report with the Indian authorities as soon as possible. If you think you know where your passport was lost or stolen (in a hotel, airport, railway station, etc.) you should report the loss to the authorities at that location.
2. Make an appointment online. Note: If you are traveling within a week, no appointment is necessary. Please bring the required documents and fees to the Consulate, Monday to Thursday between 12:30 pm and 4.00pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on U.S. and Indian holidays.
3. Complete passport application online and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport
4. Bring required documents to the Consulate whether you have an appointment or not.
Required Documents for Passport Replacement:
- Police report
- Proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship, if available.
- One (1) recent 2"x2" (5 cm x 5 cm) color photographs taken against a white background. No other format will be accepted. (More Information)
- Completed passport application form. Please do not use two-sided printing.
- Do not sign the forms; you will do so in the presence of a consular officer.
- Completed Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Lost Indian Visa
People who lose a passport with a valid Indian visa must apply for an exit visa with the Government of India before departing the country. Information on obtaining an exit visa will be provided when you apply for a replacement passport. Exit visas are not issued on weekends or Indian holidays. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing. More information on Indian visa and immigration requirements is found here.
Foreigner's Regional Registration Office (FRRO)
Bureau of Immigration
Beside Vijaya Bank Counter
Rajiv Gandhi Terminal
Begumpet Old Airport
Registration: 2:30 pm - 4 pm
Other Services: 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Phone: 040-2790-0211; 040-2790-1022; 040-2790-0388
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 10 business days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
- At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope in the lobby for INR 300. The fee may be paid by cash or demand draft in favor of "First Flight Couriers LTD." Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Along with your payment, you will also be asked to submit a completed courier slip (PDF 176KB).
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return a sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to First Flight.
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reaches First Flight, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on First Flight’s website.
- You will receive a receipt from First Flight with the return of your CRBA or U.S. passport.
- If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport. Please check our holiday calendar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 176KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 300 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD." Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.