Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Hyderabad | July 02, 2015


Adult passport holders may renew their 10-year U.S. passports in person or by mail.  We reserve the right to request an interview with respect to any passport application.

To renew your passport by mail:

1.  Complete and print the passport application online here

     Online application tips:      

  • Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by couriers to an address in India. For information on passport delivery arrangements, please click here.
  • If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
  • Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
  • Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
  • Do not use two-sided printing

2.  Submit all required documents with the printed application form:

  • One (1) studio-quality color photograph taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted. (More information)











  • The applicant's most recent U.S. passport. This passport will be cancelled and returned by mail along with the new passport. Valid visas in the old passport will not be cancelled.
  • Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must be signed and dated, and must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address. 
  • If the applicant's appearance has changed significantly since the old passport was issued, a clear photocopy of another current form of photo identification, such as a driver's license, PIO Card, etc.
  • If the applicant's surname has changed due to marriage, please include an original marriage certificate.
  • Fee payment:  If applying by mail, please submit a demand draft in favor of "US Consulate General, Hyderabad" drawn on a national bank. Personal checks are not accepted.

If applying by mail, please send (or deliver) all of the required documents to this address:

American Citizens Services Unit
U.S. Consulate General
1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane
Hyderabad  -  500003

We recommend that you use Indian registered mail or a reliable courier service that uses tracking numbers for sending in your application. 

Renewal-by-mail service is NOT available if you are:

  • A minor (under 16 years old)
  • Replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated passport
  • Renewing a 5-year passport
  • Applicant whose passport has been expired for more than five years.

These applicants must make an appointment to apply in person and bring all of the required documents listed above.  Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm.  We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.

Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security.  Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Consulate.

   Make or Cancel an Appointment Here

   Complete Online Passport Application Here


Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.

Passport Processing Time

Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 10 days.  Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.

Passport Delivery:

U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports.  This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents.  Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared. 

  1. At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope from the FedEx agent in the lobby for INR 400. The fee may be paid by cash, credit/debit card or demand draft in favor of “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Hyderabad. Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.  Please provide your email id to Fedex to receive tracking updates via email.
  2. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return the sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to FedEx.
  3. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach FedEx, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on Fedex’s website using the air waybill provided by Fedex.  Remember, Passport book/card/CRBA are sensitive documents.  FedEx will deliver your passport book/card ONLY on verifying the old canceled passport, so please be ready to show.  For CRBA and citizenship documents, please be ready to provide parents ID’s to facilitate smooth delivery of your courier.

Important Note:  If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 400 payable to “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Hyderabad.  Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn from any nationalized, foreign bank or co-operative bank operating in India.  Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach FedEx, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on Fedex’s website using the air waybill provided by Fedex.

If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.  You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport.  Please check our holiday calendar.

Frequently Asked Questions

For how long is a passport valid?  In general, children under the age of 16 are issued passports valid for five years; those 16 and over are issued passports valid for ten years.

How do I renew my U.S. passport?  Appointments are required for passport services.  Appointments are available Monday to Thursday from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm.  The U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad is closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.  Applicants should plan to spend at least an hour at the Consulate.  Each family member seeking a service related to passports should make an individual appointment.

Please visit the following links for general info on scheduling, required documents, prohibited items, and holiday closures; and to view American Citizens Services fees.

How do I renew my child’s passport?  Both parents and the child must appear in person at the U.S. Consulate General to renew the passport of a child under the age of 16.  For a list of documents to prepare and information on what to do if one parent is unable to appear in person, please see the information at:

Can I renew my passport before it expires?  Yes, do not wait for your passport to expire before applying for a renewal passport.  Your passport may be renewed at any time that is convenient for you.  Travelers to India and most other countries in Asia must present a passport valid for at least six months to be permitted to enter.

How soon should I renew my passport before it expires?  You may apply to renew your U.S. passport at any time.  If your passport has expired or is about to expire, we strongly recommend that you take action now to renew your passport.  Apart from the inconvenience you may incur in having to apply for a passport at short notice in the event of an emergency, every American abroad should have valid proof of his or her citizenship at all times.  Please click here for information on U.S. passport renewal for adults over the age of 16.

If I don't plan to travel back to the United States any time soon, why should I renew my passport now?  There are three reasons:

1. The passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.  Every U.S. citizen abroad should have valid proof of his/her citizenship at all times.     

2. Life is unpredictable.  You never know when you may need to travel suddenly to the United States.  The last thing you need to do in an emergency is worry about getting to the Embassy or Consulate to get your or your child's passport renewed.          

3. A valid passport is required for many Indian administrative purposes and you do not want to get caught with an expired passport if you need to process an application or stay in a hotel.

In the event of an emergency involving a family member abroad, a short-notice airfare bargain, or an unexpected business trip, already having a valid U.S. passport will save time, money, and stress.

I have visa stamps in my current passport.  What happens to them when this passport is cancelled?  The U.S. Embassy/Consulate does not have the authority to transfer visas or stamps issued by other countries.  When you renew your passport, your old passport will be cancelled but not your valid visas.  You should then contact the appropriate authority of the issuing country for further instruction.

My passport has already expired. I do not wish to apply for a new one.  Can my passport be extended?  No.  Passports are not extendable.

Will you hold my current passport during the processing time of my new passport?  Yes, because we need it to cancel upon issuance of your new passport.  Since our policy is to send passports via courier, it isn’t necessary to come back in to cancel the passport.  Both the new and cancelled passports will returned in the couriered package.

I cannot pick up my passport right away.  Will this be a problem?  We will hold your new passport for up to three months.  After that we will return them to the Department.  That is why our policy is now to return passports and CRBAs via courier.

Can someone pick up my passport for me? What document will they need to provide?  If you would like to have a family member or trusted friend pick up your passport, please give them a signed letter authorizing them to perform this service for you.  They also will need to present a valid ID.

Will I get my passport back when I renew it?  Yes. In nearly all cases, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you.  If we are not able to return your old passport for any reason, we will discuss this with you at the time of application.

My passport is still valid, but its pages are fully stamped. Can I have extra pages added to it, or should I apply for a new passport?  You may apply to have extra pages added to the passport up to two times.  After that you must apply for a new passport.  Alternatively if your passport will expire shortly you may apply to renew it.  Applicants for U.S. passports have the option of receiving a 52-page book for the same price as a 28-page full validity passport, so that applicants who know they will use a larger number of pages can get the larger book in advance and therefore avoid paying for additional pages down the road.  When you come to your appointment, the process will take approximately 20-30 minutes and you can either wait while it is done or drop your passport off and pick it up later.  Please check the passport page for more information.



General information about U.S. passports is available here.