Hyderabad | July 02, 2015
Adult Passport-First Time Applicant
Applicants 16 years or older applying for their first 10-year validity passport should follow this process. Appointments are required.
1. Make an appointment online and print the appointment letter. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.
2. Complete the DS-11 passport application online.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Print the form but do not use two-sided printing.
3. Bring all required documents with printed application form:
- One (2) studio-quality color photograph taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted. (More information)
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- Please do not sign the application, you will be asked to do it in front of a Consular Officer.
- Provide current or previous passport OR other proof of identify such as a drivers's license or state photo ID card
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 10 business days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
- At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope from the FedEx agent in the lobby for INR 400. The fee may be paid by cash, credit/debit card or demand draft in favor of “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Hyderabad. Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Please provide your email id to Fedex to receive tracking updates via email.
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return the sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to FedEx.
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach FedEx, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on Fedex’s website using the air waybill provided by Fedex. Remember, Passport book/card/CRBA are sensitive documents. FedEx will deliver your passport book/card ONLY on verifying the old canceled passport, so please be ready to show. For CRBA and citizenship documents, please be ready to provide parents ID’s to facilitate smooth delivery of your courier.
Important Note: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 400 payable to “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Hyderabad. Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn from any nationalized, foreign bank or co-operative bank operating in India. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach FedEx, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on Fedex’s website using the air waybill provided by Fedex.
If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport. Please check our holiday calendar.
SECURITY & TRAVEL
American citizens in India can sign up for security and travel updates. It's a free service that keeps you informed during emergencies.