Adult Passport-First Time Applicant
Applicants 16 years or older applying for their first 10-year validity passport should follow this process. Appointments are required.
1. Make an appointment online and print the appointment letter. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.
2. Complete the DS-11 passport application online.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Print the form but do not use two-sided printing.
3. Bring all required documents with printed application form:
- One (2) studio-quality color photograph taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted. (More information)
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- Please do not sign the application, you will be asked to do it in front of a Consular Officer.
- Provide current or previous passport OR other proof of identify such as a drivers's license or state photo ID card
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 10 business days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
- At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope in the lobby for INR 350. The fee may be paid by cash or demand draft in favor of "First Flight Couriers LTD." Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Along with your payment, you will also be asked to submit a completed courier slip (PDF 176KB).
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return a sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to First Flight.
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reaches First Flight, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on First Flight’s website.
- You will receive a receipt from First Flight with the return of your CRBA or U.S. passport.
- If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport. Please check our holiday calendar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 176KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 350 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD." Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.
SECURITY & TRAVEL
American citizens in India can sign up for security and travel updates. It's a free service that keeps you informed during emergencies.